John Rogers Smith
Holder of Campanile Charities Professorship
Craft & Hawkins Department of Petroleum Engineering
Louisiana State University
Patrick F. Taylor Hall, Room 2108
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone: 225-578-0412 / Fax: 225-578-6039
- B. S., Electrical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1971
- M. S., Petroleum Engineering, Louisiana State University, 1995
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, Louisiana State University, 1998
- Amoco Production Company, Lafayette, New Orleans, Tulsa, Houston, 1971-1994
- Student/self-employed research consultant, Baton Rouge, 1994-1998
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, 1997-present
- Drilling Engineering (especially for deep wells and deep water) including
- Managed Pressure Drilling and Underbalanced Drilling
- Well Control and Blowout Prevention
- Bit Performance
- Rock Mechanics
- Well Design
- Wellbore Integrity, Cementing, and Sustained Casing Pressure
- LSU/Industry Consortium for "Well Control Project for Managed Pressure Drilling"
- Proposed LSU/Baker Hughes/Industry Consortium for "Understanding and Improving Penetration Rate Performance in Deep Drilling"
- BP/LSU Gulf Research Initiative-funded "Functional Design and Sizing for Subsea Capping System"